It has been a while since my last post here. Since then I have been working both on the catalog system and on collecting and checking data. Last week I have decided to make the website publicly available, and so far reception has been great (in Portuguese only, though). My main concern was the server stability, but so far so good – if the initial traffic did not crash the server, I think it is fair to say it should survive regular use.
There is still much work to be done regarding checking the dissertations metadata, but for now I will have to wait and stick to programming tasks. I have found Django to be an excellent tool for what I needed, especially concerning its in-built security features. I will soon make the GitHub repository publicly available too, so all the code should be free to critique and reuse.